Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Is there such a thing as "Fusion Theater"?

Have you ever heard of the term "fusion cuisine"?

You know, where they stick two flavors together that you normally don't think would go.  The opposite flavors actually turn into some cosmic awesome dish?

I was watching Rachael Ray the other day, and they combined Lima Beans and Frozen Waffles.  I went back to work before I could see what they did with them.

I can't understand how anything with lima beans could be good.

I digress.

Anyway, back to the post title.




I have two movies that I watched some time ago that I cannot get out of my head.  They resurface in the most unlikely of times and places in my head. 

They are quite opposite.

And actually they don't really fuse in my brain.

They come out separately.  At separate times.

But I can forget neither of them.



The first one?




Silence of the Lambs

The first psychological thiller I ever watched.

And it wasn't the whole cannibal, human skin suit thing that got to me.

It was in the final 10 minutes- when Clarrise was in the basement with the crazy dude, and it was pitch black.  He had these see-in-the-dark glasses on, and he could see her, but she couldn't see him.

First of all, bravo acting skills on Jodie Foster's part, because I cannot forget the look on her face during that scene.

But, from that point on, any time I'm in a totally dark room I think about that scene.  And I'll even bust out some amazing kung fu moves just in case there's some crazy guy with glasses on that can see me in the dark. 

After I've karate chopped the air, I'm secretly hoping that I've either scared off the villian trying to get me- or made him bust out laughing at my rediculousness.

Either way, I come out alive...I dig that.

The second movie in my fusion?




The Passion of the Christ.



I know...how the two meld in my brain, I will never know.

If you haven't seen this movie, I strongly recommend it.

Especially given we're in the season of Lent.

Good Friday, for me, will never be the same.

I mean, I can read the gospels over and over and
still not get the magnitude of what He did for me that day.

When I saw it?

I could hardly breathe.

The horrible suffering.

Since Mel Gibson is Catholic, the movie does focus on the stages of the cross and the mother/son relationship.  Which was interesting for me- since when I saw it, Adam was only a few months old.  That whole mother/son bond was very new to me and very overwhelming on every level.

Which made the movie that much more emotional.

There's one part when Jesus is carrying his cross up the hill and he stumbles.  Mary trys to help him up saying, "it's ok...I'm here."  Then it flashes back to when Jesus is a toddler learning to walk, he stumbles and she says the same thing.  And that moment it when I started sobbing in the movie theater.

He was a human. 
He endured so much. 


For me. 
For you. 


For people I consider my friends. 
For people I consider my enemies. 

Everyone.

Kind of makes me think of people who tell me that they're
in search of a religion that makes them "feel good." 

Funny, I don't think it "felt good" to Jesus. 
But he did it out of love for us.


So...that's my crazy fusion theater story. 
What are some movies that stick in your head?

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

That is so incredible. It's that scene in The Passion that has stuck with me -- and WILL stay with me - forever. I first saw that movie a week after I found out I was pregnant with my first daughter. Emotional ball of twine that I already was...hubby had to keep going to the lobby to get napkins because I was crying so hard.

But yes - that mother/child scene will always stay with me.

Have a great day!

~ Jennifer

Mama E said...

Oh my I couldn't breathe watching The Passion. I was crying so hard for EXACTLY the reasons you described. Yet, like you said we can read it over and over and it doesn't sink in, but seeing it just that once makes it all become real. Thank-you Lord Jesus for dying on the cross for me. Thank-you