Tuesday, January 1, 2013

I hate to say "resolutions"...but that's what they are.

So....2013.


It's kind of like standing outside your school door on the first day of school.

Wondering what is in store for you in the upcoming months.

Knowing that when this whole experience chews you up and spits you out on the other side, you'll have lived some, learned a lot, and hopefully laughed a bit along the way.


So, 2013, what have you in store for us?


I can say that it will be what I make of it.

Some things I will be able to control, others I won't.

I can only control how I react to them.

So...here's my list for 2013:

  • Respect myself.  No negative self-talk.  If I feel something needs to change, I'll change it.  Not just put myself down and dig a deeper hole.

  • Stand up for things I believe are right.  This includes talking about politics and speaking up for God when it is only politically correct to dog on Christianity.  Religion and politics....Yes...2013 may be full of awkward moments for those around me.  :)

  • Think of others more.  I have a tendency to be rather self-centered.  Putting other's needs before my own will hopefully help me with that.

  • Have a dance party with my boys once a week.  Or just be more a "fun" mom and not "I have a ton of things to get done" mom.

  • Simplify.  My home and my world is full to the brim with unnecessary thingsStuff.  Noise.  All things to distract me from the prize at the end.  It's time for me to remove some noise.  This includes NOT overextending myself and my time- and even taking a few things off my already full plate.

  • Organize.  More lists.  My friends were right...having that third baby has taken what is left of my brain cells and turned them to mush.  I cannot remember a thing.  This includes family and friends birthdays, my shopping list, or something as simple as changing the washed clothes to the dryer ...(which reminds me....hang on a sec...... ok!).  See?  keeping a resolution already!  Whoot!


  • Choose to be a part of the solution, not the problem.  Every issue that arises has two parties- those that are the problem, and those that are the solution.  And one person can be part of both parties.  It's a matter of choices.  I'm choosing the side of the solution.  But, if I am a part of the problem, I'm hoping for enough maturity and integrity to apologize and amend behavior.  And I'm willing to hold others accountable to this resolution as well.

  • Pray for my enemies daily.  If I do that, it is harder for me to withhold forgiveness and carry a grudge.  Those things just corrode me...not them.  God commands us to forgive because he forgave us- even things we don't repent for.  My withholding forgiveness only hurts my relationship with Him.  I'm not going to let that happen.

  • Crack my Bible open more.  Perhaps start a bible study in my home?  Eeekkk...that's a bit of a stretch, but my heart in leaning in that direction. 


So....do you make resolutions?  What do you want to see in 2013?

2 comments:

mrsmarkdave said...

I don't make resolutions, either. But every January first, I resolve that the number on the scale will be smaller a year from now. It never is.
A year from today - that will be different...starting tomorrow. For sure.

Big Fat Gini said...

I think those are fabulous non-resolutions! I completely agree (because, well...why wouldn't I?), especially with the negative talk about myself. I have GOT to stop that. I used to look at it as me just being self-depricating, but the truth is that it was damaging and it's gotta stop.

Good luck, friend! :)