Monday, May 12, 2014

Therapy

 
 
The best BEST nights
 
 
can pop up in unexpected places.
 
Like the ones that start with
 
and unexpected phone call,
 
"HEY!  What are you doing RIGHT NOW?!?!?"
 
followed by:
 
"We're coming to kidnap you.  Right now."
 
followed by:
 
"Get your game face on."
 
 
 
After quick negotiation buying me an hour
 
 
to clean up dinner,
 
put Baby L to bed,
 
change out of sweat pants,
 
and put my game face on,
(less about vanity and more about public service)
 
 
There was a honk on my driveway.
 
 
We found a bar that smelled strangely like my grandmother's basement...
 
 
...but whatever...there were friends.  There were drinks.
 
 
Friends I haven't seen in WAY too long.
 
 
There was drinking.
 
There was talking.
 
 
There was SO much laughter!
 
 
We laughed so hard, other tables were turning and looking.
 
 
By the end of the night,
 
my cheeks hurt.
 
 
And there are still times
 
that I think about funny things that were said that night,
 
and I find myself smiling...giggling and at times out-loud laughing.
 
 
Friendships like this pick my up when I didn't even realize I was limping along.
 
They lighten my load.
 
They pour sunshine into a dark room.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Better than therapy.
 
 
With vodka tonic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The very best kind of therapy - there is almost nothing that can't be made better by a night spent with girlfriends laughing!