Friday, May 31, 2013

Almost finishline 5QF

My boys have exactly one more week of school.

One week!

Then they're all mine.

And I'm all theirs.  (More on that in a future post)

Eeeeekkkkkk!

Anyway, because we're still running this race, hobbling toward the finish line...I'm going to keep this prelude brief and get right to the questions:



1. What is an acceptable age for girls to start dating?

Sigh.  I'm not sure about that one.  A year ago, my answer would have been totally different.  Now?  I've got a daughter.  I refuse to think about anything past potty training.

A lot of different people have a lot of different definations about dating.  Some think that it's ok for their 3/4 grade kids to "declare their dating status."  I think that's a bit premature.

Then, the Duggars think you don't really date until you choose your betrothed, then you court, then engagement and then the first kiss happens at the wedding.

I'm somewhere in the middle.  I would like my daughter to wait until there's a little maturity and self-esteem built before she dates.  But I learned a LOT about myself through some of my relationships- both the successful one and all the failures.  I'm not going to discourage her from dating a few people, but I will keep my eyes open and shoot down the skeevy ones.  (Which I hope she won't even give the time of day to....)

2. Do you think your kids should have summer homework?

I do have some supplemental workbooks that we do a page or two out of everyday.  The kid's teachers have told me that they can totally tell which kids fell prey to the "summer slide" and which ones didn't.  Those that didn't tend to be natural leaders starting the school year. 

Why wouldn't I take that 5-10 minutes a day and do that for my kiddos?

There's 23 hours and 50 minutes left everyday for FUN FUN FUN!!!

3. Would you prefer to live without AC or heat?

Neither.  Moving on.


4. What the worst thing about staying in a hotel? (Besides not being with your family)

Scratchy sheets.  I really dislike scratchy sheets.


5. So, do your kids really get "104 days of summer vacation"? (Bonus points for those of you that get this reference!)

Hello, Phineas and Ferb. 

I'm not sure, I haven't counted.  But I do have a friend who counts summer vacations.  There was one summer a few years ago that we just happened to have 110 days of summer (as opposed to our usual average of 98-103), and she GRIPED about that extra week the ENTIRE SUMMER.  I say, "BRING IT ON!!!"  Let's have fun.

2 comments:

mrsmarkdave said...

Whoa!!!! I don't have any kids, but I can't fathom griping about the privilege of being able to spend extra time with them. Even though I don't have kids, I dread the 1st day of kindergarten. That's sad.

Anonymous said...

I cannot wait until summer break so we can hang out, all together! As it should be. Amen.