Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Too thin

I'm coming to the realization that I'm stretched too thin.

Usually, it doesn't all converge on one weekend.

But, this weekend is the culmination of "over-committed."

And while I sit here in a confused cloud over who to disappoint more.

...I'm realizing that there's need for prioritization in my life.

And with Ash Wednesday right around the corner,

I think its high time I prioritize things quickly,

Pray about them,

And work my way through Lent.

With lots and lots of prayer.

Lots.

So, here's the things that I'm going to work on:

1.  Stop being judgemental.  Gosh, I'm going to struggle with this one.  I'm so horribly judgemental.  This is a sin I've committed against just about everybody at some point in time.  Seriously, I need to work on this.  I do NOT want to live like a pious pharisee.  BUT, included in this is also the ability to stop judging myself in an unhealthy way.

2.  Being intentional about movement.  Physical movement.  Exercisal excursion.  Minimum of 20 minutes per day.  Minimum.

3.  Establish boundaries.  Healthy boundaries.  Between volunteer projects, work, home life, kids, friends, etc.  I recently had a friend establish a boundary with me that had not originally been there.  I won't lie and say it didn't hurt.  It did.  But these are healthy growing pains, and in the end, our relationship will be better for it once we redevelop healthy expectations.    But it's also made me realize that I've let work overpower my time with my family.  I've let volunteer work push the boundary of time with my family.  I've let friends overpower time with my family.  See a pattern here?  It's something that needs to be fixed.

Normally, I wouldn't post something so personal on here- such a public forum.  But, I've learned that this blog is a good way to keep my support system active.  All you who pray for me, and care about me...well, this is a way I can reach out to you.  This is the most direct means of getting my prayer warriors into action.


Which brings me back to the original question:  which boundary am I going to set, and who am I going to choose to disappoint this weekend?

3 comments:

Rach said...

Wow Sandy. Thanks for this great post. I'll be honest and say that I've been completely in awe at how you manage ALL THAT you do!!! I don't know how you find time to do all the volunteer stuff on top of regular work, on top of mommy work! So I suppose it's a bit reassuring to know that you were struggling with time commitments.... because I often feel very lazy around you. Consider me enlisted in your prayer army. :)

Kate said...

I adore you.

That's all.

Mama M. said...

Ditto what Kate said...

And, remember, when you put your family first, you gain more than you lose. People will understand, and those that don't? They aren't worth it.

It's EXACTLY what your Dr. Seuss quote is all about.