Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Mourning

I could also title this post, "I'm free!"

But, today I'm mourning.

Our MOPS Consignment sale is this weekend.

This is something I dread every year. 

Not because it's a lot of work.

Because I'm letting go.

I'm letting go of the baby.

That phase when everything smells of gum drops and spit up.

The cuddles.

The sleepers.

The deep breathing that comes when they've fallen asleep on your chest.

That euphoria you feel when they smile as you walk into the room.

I'm going through boxes.


I'm seeing the outfit that C. wore for his 6 month pictures,
and the sleepers that I used to rock the boys to sleep in.




 
Or the shirt that C. wore to A's Valentine's Day Party at Preschool



And A's ( and C's) first Easter sweater vest.

And the overalls A was wearing when he took his first steps.


 
I'm very at peace with the fact that we're not having anymore children.

I'm ok with that.

I'm sleeping through the night. (most of the time)

I have no more diapers or wipes in my house.

I have no baby gates in the house.

I'm not on a "constant state of alert."

I don't need to worry about nap schedules and feeding times.

I'm really ok with that.

But letting go of the things that remind me of this phase.

It's almost like loosing part of my own youth.

 
And I'm not the only one who's mourning.
Except I have no problem letting go of the toys.  :)

I'm ok.

I'll be ok.

It's just stuff, right?




RIGHT?!?!!?

5 comments:

Big Fat Gini said...

I don't think that feeling every goes away. I just got rid of the last of our baby stuff a few months ago, but I still get that feeling packing up the 2T's and shipping them off.

We're actually getting rid of the high chairs next week when our new table comes. I'm pretty sure I'll cry over that too. Just like when I cry every time I see the boys in their older brothers' hand-me-downs.

Julie said...

Mike is 19 and I still have a few of those things I can't part with. Not much, house isn't big enough but a few. It's not easy but if it refreshing once it's done (and a few tears along the way).
Thanks for stopping by Sandy. Take care and God Bless!!

Rach said...

Oh Sandy! Yes, they are THINGS....things that represent memories. But keep looking forward! And keep taking pictures....lots and lots of pictures. I was going through Sofia & Stella's baby pictures the other day and started crying....yes, crying. Pictures are fantastic. I love the candid ones and the ones I usually would delete.

Mama M. said...

Yes, Sandy...it's just stuff!!

(Says the girl with oodles and oodles and oodles of baby stuff in her basement...)

April said...

Stopping by from the hop! Congratulations on the jeans - they look great!
Frugally Green Mom