Friday, August 31, 2012

5QF

Labor Day weekend!

We have no plans.


Other than to get things done around the house, enjoy each other's company, perhaps grill out a bit, and catch up on work.


I know.....riveting, right?

Hey, it works for us!


The boys don't have school today, and I'm grateful for that.

Poor C. was a tired boy last night, and slept in until 8am this morning!
(yeah, that never happens)

I thought a 3-day week was the perfect way to ease my Kindergartener
into the all day/ every day school routine.

Ok...questions!


1. What do you enjoy doing the most with your spouse?

Ahem....aside from the obvious....(wink, wink) which landed me smack dab in the land of the surprise pregnancy?!?!?


We like to just chill out together.  We will light a fire in the backyard and sit in the dark just talking.  We will have "couch dates" where we'll sit and give each other back rubs and either watch TV or just talk.  We have about 20 minutes after dinner where he lingers at the table while I clean up dinner- just to talk with me and reconnect after being apart all day. 

I'm not a "high maintenance" kind of wife.  Easy little things are the most enjoyable.  We do get out for dates and such....but finding joys in the little bits of everyday life are things that keep life wonderful.

2. How do you eat your taco? From the top or from the side?

Side.  Then all the flavors of the fillin's are mixed and I enjoy the entire taco experience.

Really?!?!?  People eat them from the top?


3. Have you ever shut off the basement light and ran like a fool because you knew someone was down there and would get you?

When I was little, heck yeah.

Now?  Not so much.  :)


4. If you could change one thing about you what would it be and why?

One thing?!?!?  Seriously?!?!?  I have a list a mile long.  But a lot of that is my own darn insecurity talking.

One thing I'm working on is not being so judgemental.  Toward myself and toward others.  I am horribly hard on myself.  Giving myself some grace for messing up once in a while would be pretty awesome. 

5. What age do you think is appropriate to have the "bird and the bees" talk with your children?

Sigh.  I just had this talk with a friend of mine whose 2 older children are pretty much the exact same age as my boys.  They are 8 and 5.

Since I am currently pregnant, they have been asking more questions, which means they're curious.  Things like:

How will the baby come out?
Where does it come out?
How did it get in there?
Does it hurt?
Will you be ok?

So, it's a good spring board to start talks like that with them.  My first response to their questions is:

What do you think?

This way I can gauge what they're ready to hear by their answer.  I can also find out if they've been talking to any of their peers about this, and what they may have already heard.  (and correct the incorrect things they may have been told or have assumed).

But, one thing I want to make sure of- I want them to hear it from me first.  In the correct, God pleasing, way.

There's supposed to be some books out there that you can read with your child.  They're separated by age and the details start out more vague, and get more detailed as the age goes up.  I think I may look into those- just to give myself some guidelines.

So- what age?  I think A. - at 8- is getting old enough to know a little bit.  His body is (or will be soon) changing, and I want him to know it's ok.  This may be a divide and conquer thing with D and I. 

2 comments:

retired not tired said...

Yes being pregnant certainly brings out the "birds and the bees" questions sooner. Enjoy your long weekend

Anonymous said...

I say D gets the boys and you get baby girl for those fun talks - seems only fair ;)