Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Ten on Tuesday: To each their own edition - snarky, practical observations

This is a post in which you'll probably see the inner workings of my mind. 

It's per-snickety...and thinks it's funny.

I've just noticed a lot of differences between people God placed on this Earth lately,

and actually think I've found a relatively "zen" place in dealing with them.

Relatively....key word.

But hey, I used God and "zen" in the same sentence.

That's irony.  :)

If I offend you in this post, I do humbly apologize...just me- being snarky.


Ok...on with the observations:

1.  I was sitting in the waiting room at my Dr. yesterday.  There were a total of 12 women waiting in there with me.  4 of them had husbands with them.  Two looked unhappy to be there, 2 were sauntering in and around the room...like a manly gait would negate the fact that they were in a clearly estrogen packed room.  Watching them made me chuckle a bit.  At which point, I donned this text to my husband:

" I pity these poor guys who come to the Dr. with their wives.  I feel the need to clip a corner off their man card or something.  :) You're lucky you have me - and I can stand on my own 2 feet.  Love you tons."

to which he replied:

"Hahaha.  Just one of the many reasons I married you.  Love you."

Then I thought perhaps I was just being per-snickety.  So, I took a poll on Facebook.  I just asked if husbands went to their OB appointments with them.  Here's the results:

Out of 37 responses, 13 went to OB appointments with them (just over a third).  Four of them I would consider high risk pregnancies.  Those 4 guys are covered....everyone one else, hand over your man card!  I've got scissors to clip a corner.....

Just kidding.  It just goes to show you that each spousal relationship is different. 

To each their own.

2.  With an election just around the corner, I'm trying my HARDEST to reach out in love- to everyone.  Even militant femi-nazi's.  I'm trying hard to be tolerant, and pray for God to open hearts and ears so we can have open dialogs.

Three days ago, I saw an Obama bumper sticker on the back of a car.  (A Prius, no less).  It was clearly a scare tactic advertisement...and the numbers reported on that bumper sticker were incorrect.

I seriously had to resist the urge to ram his little car with my van just to get him to step out so I could correct his bumpered claim. 

You know, if you're going to vote for That Guy, that's your prerogative...however, if you're going to tag your car with a scare tactic- at least make sure your numbers are correct.  Because as soon as I googled it, you and your camp lost more credibility.

 But, you know...to each their own.

3.  Our debt-free life style has recently come under attack.  I was told that I was being irresponsible for not having a room ready for the baby once she gets here.  She strongly encouraged me to get a mortgage to pay for work necessary to complete the house...and then go out and get a full time job to pay off the mortgage.  Her words, "Well, by the time the baby is in school, your mortgage it paid off!  And you'll have the rest of the kid's lives to be debt free, if that's the way you choose to go back to, although I don't know why you would."

As of right now, I have the rest of my kid's lives to be debt free...AND I don't have to stick my newborn in childcare.  But that's just my choice, I guess.  I'm not sure why she was so offended by it.

She questioned our lifestyle and wondered if the Bible says anything about debt.  Why, I'm glad you asked:

Proverbs 22:7b says, "The borrower is the slave of the lender."

Romans 13:8 says, "Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law."

There are actually a total of 23 verses in the Bible about how to handle money - and equity.  I, personally, choose not to be a slave to anything or anyone except a willing Servant of God.

But, you know, to each their own.

4.  We've lived here for 7 1/2 years now.  I've never seen my neighbor's windows open.  Never.  At 50 degrees, their air conditioning turns on.  Seriously.  When we don't hear it kick on (cause our windows are open, and theirs aren't), it's still easy to tell when their air conditioner turns on- because our lights dim.  Every time.  I Facebooked him to let him know that he may be needing a tune up- in case they were spending a lot of efficiency money on a dirty unit....but yet, we still dim more than 10 times a day.  Even in this beautiful weather.

But, you know, to each their own.

5.  Baby Girl has been working on her gymnastics try-out routine.  At 2:30 am every morning.  I'm not a fan because she's kicking my arse from the inside out...and I can't sleep.

But, you know, to each their own.

6.  I miss Ann Curry.  Just sayin'.

But, you know, to each their own.

7.  It seems like there's been a lot of divorces in the past couple of years.  It makes me sad that they couldn't work it out- and makes me cling to my husband all the more.  I don't know what happened behind closed doors, and its not my place to judge, but it does make me think about things I can do to improve my marriage...from my end.  Not his.  How can I be a better wife?  How can I be less selfish?  About a dozen things come to my mind right away.  Unfortunately, their loss is my gain....I hope.

But, you know....to each their own.

8.  If you're calling me asking for monetary advice, and telling me that you can't sleep at night because you're so worried about money....please be ready for an honest answer.  I'm me, and I don't wear masks.  What you see is what you get....I've always been this way.  The fact that we've been friends for the past 15 years should clue you into that fact.  So, when I tell you that you should finish paying off your delinquent credit card balances before you decide to take the kids on that Disney cruise....well, don't get your nose out of joint.  It's just practical advice.  Or, you know...just don't ask me anymore - cause I'll bite my tongue until you ask.  Just sayin.'

But, you know...to each their own.

9.  There are 12 days until Michigan Football kick off!  I saw a Spartan bumper sticker the other day...and (strangely enough) did not have to resist the urge to hit their car.  (See?  I'm growing as a person!)  After all, someone has to root for the little brother, right?

But, you know...to each their own.

(GO BLUE!)

10.  I was also told the other day (by the same friend as #3 above- perhaps she was having a bad day/ week?) that we are doing a disservice to our children for sending them to a private school.  That our money would be better served as tax dollars to a public school, and we shouldn't shelter our boys so much.  My response was: 1) our church - that we love and are a family in - has this mission, and we CHOOSE to support it.  2)  Our tax dollars go to the public school regardless of our using it or not, so that's a moot point.  3) If you're annoyed by my complaining about the commute - that's fine.  I won't say anything anymore.  It is a sacrifice, and I need to remind myself of that.  Daily.  4) Sheltering my boys is my prerogative.  There are things they don't need to know about quite yet.  There are foundations I want to help put in place before sending them out into the world of "political correctness."  A Firm Foundation- based in Truth.  Sorry if that offends you, but...you know...they're my kids.

.And you know....to each their own

6 comments:

Brittney said...

#1: My husband liked going to my OB appts with me and was disappointed he couldn't always go the second time around. ;) But you definitely are correct that each marriage is different!
#3: My mouth almost gaped open at what that person said to you. We *cannot wait* to be debt-free! I am always encouraged by others who are currently debt-free, especially when they are giving God the glory! *high five*
#7: I completely concur with your thoughts.
#10: Amen, amen! But I'm sure you recall our stance on public school. ;)

mrsmarkdave said...

Oh my gosh Sandy. I am dying.
#1 - my husband wouldn't go to the dr w/me no matter what it's for. Especially if it was a baby dr appt.

#2 - I frequently want to run those peeps off the road because the are aiding in ruining my country.

#3 and 10 - Don't even know what to say. What an ignoramus. You're doing the right thing and that's not my opinion. It's just a fact :-)

#7 - I am with you. My husband's parents have struggled w/their marriage for 35 years. They actually play games with it. She doesn't support him one little bit in anything and he caters to her every bark. Currently, they live separately (for more than 6 years) wasting money they absolutely don't have on a mortgage and rent. When his dad died 4 yrs ago she didn't even want to sit with him at the funeral. Then she got mad and ruined everything for everyone because nobody offered condolences to her since a man she loathed (and didn't hide that fact) died. Her bday was a few days before the funeral and she insisted on a party (at age 54. Yes, you heard that right). Her husband complied. Rather than staying with her husband the night of his father's funeral she went to her mother's hours to spend time with her family. (and she manipulated her kids to go with her just to be spiteful) Later my fil asked what we were supposed to think that she didn't stay with him after his father's funeral. I asked why she would since they make a life out of playing games with their marriage and that I'm sickened at the example he's setting for his sons - specifically the one I'm married to. I'm thankful that my husband is also disgusted by their behavior.

Oh that was long. Sorry.

Lesley said...

I'm glad we're friends. :)

Mama M. said...

Dear Sandy,

I love you. Your "friend" needs to take a harder look at herself and stop scrutinizing YOU. My husband? Only went to the "important" appointments...which I think was the ultrasound. Maybe the first one. And if I dragged him along for any others, it was clear he really didn't want to be there! :) I still love him.

trooppetrie said...

stay strong and that baby girl will not remember rather she had her own room. Stay strong and out of debt. So proud of you. except for our car we have no debt

Anonymous said...

#1 - It has been proven that an educated and involved (key words) husband makes the childbirth experience more positive for the majority of women. So when I see a man participating in OB appointments with his wife, I give him a gold star for his man card. But, as you say - to each his own.

#2 - I would LOVE to know what that bumper sticker said...

#3 and #10 - Your friend is crazy. You guys are my financial heroes. I want to be just like you when I grow up...except I think I'm older than ya'll... Oh well, the story of the Love Shack and your debt free lifestyle are totally awesome and you should write a book. Seriously, you should.