Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Top ten: Lesser known "things" about me...

I'm not really a person of mystery.  Really...


I'm an open book for the most part.

There's a few tricks up my sleeve:  things no one knows, things one person knows, things few people know, etc.  But there's also funky things that not many people know....so here's my list:

1.  I cannot eat bananas.  I love them.  I miss them, but I cannot eat them.  They cause the WORST migraines.  Seriously...worst.  Like, half my face and body goes numb and slumps, I loose peripheral vision, and end up in the Dr. office doing "stroke" testing....really, that bad.  No bananas for me.  :(

2.  I'm a bit of a grammar snob.  I blame my parochial schooling on that.  Anyone else know how to diagram a sentence?  If so, you are my soul mate.  (Also, you're, your...two different things- and while I'm at it two, too, and to....If you use them incorrectly, I will secretly judge you).

3.  I am registered as a democrat(GASP!!!!!)  Yes, Dave married me anyway.  I registered right at the tender age of 18- while in my freshman year of college and very impressionable from peers and misinformed college professors.  It wasn't until took a sociology class and we had to write a final paper about "why modern day housekeepers are nothing more than indentured servants" did I realize that I was truly a capitalist at heart.  I got an "F" on that paper- because I said that housekeepers were really entrepreneurs in having enough integrity to see a demand and starting a business to fill that demand.  The professor wrote on my paper, "There's no room for conservatives in this class."  I took it to the head of the school of business and he overwrote my grade.  Ha....

4.  I cannot sleep with socks on.  If I do, I will wake up in a horrible sweat from nightmares.   Easy equation:  socks = nightmares.  So, I go to bed with freezing feet and migrate them over the center line to infiltrate Dave's cocoon.  :)  (He always yells, but I know he secretly LOVES it.  Yes, yes he does...I keep telling him that every night too).

5.  I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.  I know eventually I'll have to get a full time job and once again contribute to the financial well-being of this household.  I also know that I'm not for sitting in my basement office (without windows) and entering numbers and more numbers.  This job is fantastic while my kids are young and in school, but my right brain would probably strangle me if I made a career from it.  I am not a left-brained person.  I can get by, but it's not my passion.  I'd LOVE to find something I'm passionate at and run with a career from there.  I don't need to make a lot of money- that's not my god.  Just enough to get by.  And do something I believe in.

6.  I have a photographic memory, but am TERRIBLE at remembering names.  I can read a book, and remember what the pages look like when trying to recall a fact or piece of information.  Which is why I always did so well at spelling and memory work in school.  I can remember faces, but not names.  Seriously...there's a lady at church.  I keep calling her Vicki.  It's not her name.  I know it's not her name, but I cannot remember her name.  So, I call her Vicki.

7.  I am scared of pencilled in eyebrows.  Yes, I'm weird.  In my whole life, I've only seen ONE person do them correctly- and that was VERY recent.  Seriously...if you have pencilled in eye brows, I cannot make eye contact with you.  I will seriously stare at them the entire conversation.  This is fine if we're talking across the room- you only see I'm looking in the "direction" of your eyes....but up close....well, that gets awkward.  But I cannot tear my eyes away.  They FREAK ME OUT!

8.  I do not consider myself a "trendy" person.  As a matter of fact, if you call me trendy, I may just take it as an insult.  I would much rather consider myself a practical person with my own sense of style rather than use my family's money to look like everyone else for a season or two.  I would have to be so selfish.  HOWEVER, I do not consider "trendy" to be a bad thing when talking about othersWeird, huh?  As a matter of fact, I have beautiful friends who are ALWAYS in the latest trends, and they are adorable.  I actually love and appreciate this about them.  Just not for me.

9.  I was shocked a few weeks ago to find out that I'm an intimidating person.  What the WHAT???  Apparently, my inner strength intimidates people.  Sorry...I do have a sense of who I am, and I'm not going to change it.  I know what I believe in, I know what I stand for.  Sorry if that freaks your wishy-washy butt out.  I don't think being a "hot mess" is cool....nor is it anything to brag about.  I get overwhelmed, I drop the ball from time to time.  I am far from perfect.  But, I am who I am.  I do my best.  That's all I can do.  I"m ok with imperfection, I'm ok with "incomplete."

10.  I get "gut feelings."  I listen to them.  I've learned to, at least.  I inherit this from my dad.  When I was younger, I'd bring a new friend home and he'd sometimes say, "Stay clear of that girl, pumpkin.  She's not good news."  Of course, being obstinate, I'd disregard his warning and sure enough....I'd get burned.  Later in life, I've learned to listen to those gut feelings about people and situations.  Friends who I need to keep at an arm's length or people I just need to steer clear from all together.  An example of this gut feeling is waaaaay back when I was in college, my grandma was in the hospital.  I was in a marketing class...and all of a sudden, I knew I had to call the hospital.  I got up, went to the nearest pay phone (this was 1998....), and called the hospital where they told me that my grandmother passed away just a few minutes prior and I missed my mom leaving by mere seconds.  I knew she was gone before I even called.  The first night that I officially met Dave, I knew he was going to be my husband.  Not wishful thinking....I just knew.  There was nothing to rush...but we weren't going to dilly dally around it either.  When the gut knows, the gut knows.

Do you have funky little quirks that few people know about?

4 comments:

Big Fat Gini said...

My intuition is pretty good too. Those gut feelings are usually spot on and I listen to it. That day I left Facebook was one of those days.

Anyway. Interesting stuff, friend! I especially liked the part about your professor. You Democrat! :P

mrsmarkdave said...

No. People pretty much know my quirks.
But - I'm leaving a comment to let you know that I KNOW HOW TO DIAGRAM A SENTENCE!!!! :-)

The Gardener said...

I stalk your blog. I'm not even sure how I found it.

I'm a snob to (just kidding) too. I actually know when to use who vs. whom.

One of my quirks? I can't stand to hear people chew. Ugh!

Anonymous said...

The comment above makes me laugh because I am apparently a super loud chewer - I say apparently because only my husband tells me this and perhaps the rest of the world is too polite to say so :)

I love your strength and your ability to call it like it is is one of my favorite things about you! Speaking of inner strength - looking forward to pilates!