I since it's a larg(er) purchase, I wanted them to earn it.
And earn it, they shall.
We're about ten days in so far....
When I first brought it out, I posted it on facebook in an effort to solicit support.
Here's what I learned in the past ten days:
1. It's helpful to have some parameters for this box before you set it out.
2. Let your husband know what they are so he doesn't take the box away for something that would have been allowed by you.
3. Make it ONLY about getting along with each other. If you want to deal with something else (like not listening to mom or dad), create a new box. One thing at a time.
4. Create an atmosphere for success, but simple guide lines. Here's ours:
- You get ONE warning. ONE. Anymore that that, the box doesn't get checked for the day.
- Remind them that the slate is washed clean every morning, and they have a new opportunity for success the next day.
- Decide a which level you want to interfere. I usually let them go for a few minutes to see if they'll work it out my themselves. After all, that's the whole point of this exercise, right???
- The days to NOT have to be 5 consecutive days. I want them to succeed BEFORE they move out of my house. :)
- Celebrate the success of a box marked off. Ask them what they did to make sure the box got marked. Success breeds success.