Thursday, July 30, 2009

To Gluten or not to Gluten....

I have been thinking about a clever title to this post all day. Nothing came to mind...so, you're left with the silly one listed above. Sorry bout that. Not so entertaining.

Anyway, after 47 days of living gluten free, I decided to try my luck. I had noticed a difference in going gluten free, but a few people challenged me to try it again to see what, if any, reaction I had.

So, it was girls' night out last night. I had a great time. I love the women I was out with- totally fun, energetic, crazy, just true friendship-hearted people. We went to a bar that had 1/2 off appetizers, and I saved my gluten test for their hummus platter. (Rach...hummus is yummus!) I knew that I could eat everything on the platter- with the exception of the warm pita bread - so this was my controled test.

Well, there were some reactions. By the time we left the bar (4 hours later!), I had some pretty heavy cramping, and my stomach became distended. I probably looked like I was 4-5 months pregnant. I didn't sleep at all last night, and today feel horribly weak and lethargic- to the point that I really need to take a nap if I'm going to stay upright later tonight. I can't concentrate, and I'm pretty itchy. I'm also feeling lightheaded and dizzy. Many of the ailments I'd been suffering the past few years have returned in a matter of 24 hours.

Long story short, while a gluten exposure won't kill me...life is certainly better without it.

Much, much better.

4 comments:

Lesley said...

no way Sandy! Well, good thing you know now!

Rach said...

oh, bummer as sandy! Pita bread is over-rated anyways...it's so flavorless....kinda like the water chestnut without bacon. I prefer to eat hummus straight up...gazpacho style. Sorry you weren't feeling well afterwards. I'm glad you came out for drinks & allowed me to infiltrate your small group GNO...& my happiness is really what is most important here.

Sandy said...

LOL- RAch you crack me up! Next time, I'll just ask for all cucumbers and not the pita bread. While it doesn't have much flava - the texture is awesome! Oh well- at least I now know another piece of the puzzle!

Laura said...

Hey! I stopped over from MckMama's blog frog thingy and just wanted to say HI. I love the hummus is yummus...funny! I have been looking into glutin free a little because my aunt and uncle are doing it and I was just curious. Nice to see some other people take on it!