I have noticed a few differences. The biggest one is that I'm not showing the same stomach discomfort that I have been experiencing for the past few years. I have been drinking Aloe Juice in an effort to stay off Prilosec (I really hate prescription drugs), but since going gluten free, I haven't needed the aloe juice!!!! Also, weird and achy pains that I had been having (shoulders, arms, hips, head, etc) have dramatically decreased! There's a few other things as well...but even for someone who doesn't usually have boundaries is putting up a boundary here...you guys just don't need to know some things. :)
A few challenges I've noticed:
- Maltodextrin- that stuff is in EVERYTHING!!! salad dressing, seasoned salt, ketchup, lemonade mixes, cottage cheese
- No beer. I love a cold on in the summer. :( I'm not sure what alcoholic beverage doesn't have gluten in it, so I'm just not going there.
- Eating out. This has posed a few challenges. But I made it through a dinner at BW3 completely intact and gluten free. :) I just need to avoid the fast food chains- everyone else is willing to accommodate a special diet.
- Gluten free specialty items are a little pricey- to put it minimally. While I'm not going to spend a lot of money on them right now until after this 30 day trial is over, it could adversely affect our grocery budget in the future. Oh well!
- There's some awesome books, blogs, resources out in the community about gluten free living.
- A gluten free diet is really very fresh and healthy.
- I'm learning tons about lentils and legumes.
- I'm meeting tons of people who have NCGI (non-celiac gluten intolerance).
- Dave has been incredibly supportive, and enjoys my trying to expand my culinary imagination
- I'm rediscovering the joy of unflavored rice cakes and natural peanut butter.
- It's summer!!! Farmer's markets are an awesome place to pick up yummy in-season fruits and veggies!!! In addition, we have a little victory garden out back, and I harvested our first batch of lettuce (thanks for the tip, Marianne!) on the fourth of July. Super yum!!!
Some have asked me if I'm looking forward to eating bread/noodles again. Yes and no. I'm enjoying feeling good and eating healthy. I'm already planning my lets-try-gluten-again dinner in a few weeks. But, I'm really enjoying eating super healthy and fresh foods...so I may not go back all the way (if I have a choice in the matter). Time will tell!!!